Since Indonesia is the largest archipelago in the world consisting of 17,000 islands, traveling around the country is quite tricky, not unless you would like to travel by plane all the time . For budget travelers and those who would like to see more of Indonesia, here are your travel options.
- From Bali, book a flight which will take an hour and 30 mins. Book through AirAsia or your preferred airline. The cheapest local website I found is Traveloka the website is Bahasa, just check on the English version of the website. Check currency conversion at currency converter AirAsia flies to Yogyakarta from Bali twice a day from Ngutah Rai International Airport. Take a taxi from hotel to the Airport.
- There is no direct train service from Bali to Yogyakarta.
- Take a train from Depensar ( Bali )to Surabaya.( 4-5 hours) From Surabaya to Yogyakarta. (5-6 hours) Check on link for schedule: Time table
*If you want a side trip, check out Mt. Bromo at Surabaya
- The executive bus like Safari Dharma Raya Lorena Karina Bus and Sewa Bus have direct service to Yogyakarta.
From Ubung bus terminal, it will take 15-17 hours to Yogyakarta. The bus is quite comfortable with toilet. Please check online websites for updated timetable and fare. These websites are in Bahasa, check on the translation options or
- Take a taxi from Hotel to Ubud bus station. Buy a ticket going to Gilimanuk. From Gilimanuk, take a ferry to Katapang, Banyuwangi. ( If you want a side trip adventure, book a hotel in Banyuwangi and ask or check online for Ijen Volcano or the Ijen Blue flame tour.) From Banyuwangi, take a train straight to Yogyakarta.
- There are plenty of private cars with driver for rent in Bali. Request one from your hotel or any travel agencies online or around Bali. This option is best if you are traveling in a group to divide the cost.
Book a tour:
- Numerous tours will take you to Yogyakarta from Bali.
Check one of the websites for rates and more options: www.balitours.com
Indonesia is not just Bali. Explore and enjoy!
Any questions? Feel free to leave a comment.