I have always been fascinated by people, culture, and history . I wonder how ancient civilization was able to create something beyond their capacity during that era and was able to create footprints in history that will always be unthinkable to modern civilization.
Borobudur compound is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, built-in the 8th and 9th centuries AD during the reign of the Syailendra Dynasty. The monument consists of nine stacked platforms, six squares and three circular, topped by a central dome. The temple is decorated with 2,672 relief panels and 504 Buddha statues. The central dome is surrounded by 72 Buddha statues, each seated inside a perforated stupa. It is the world’s largest Buddhist temple, as well as one of the greatest Buddhist monuments in the world. Wikipedia
The Sunrise Tour:
Adhisthana Hotel in Yogyakarta, where I stayed, was able to book a tour for me. They have these 2 options. Transportation with breakfast 110,000.00 IDR. Transportation without breakfast 100,000.00 IDR. ( Temple entrance fee is not included. )
A van picked me up at 4:00 am the next day in the hotel. Borobudur is an hour away from the city. The van picked up other joiners of the tour from their hotels so there were multiple stops. If you are traveling alone, you need to wait for other people to book the same tour. The tour is a minimum of 2 persons.
An entrance fee 400,000.00 IDR was collected at Manohara Hotel, light snacks included with tea or coffee. A torch was provided since the temple is a 15-minute walk from the hotel’s entrance. Opening time is 4:30 am, sunrise is around 5:45 am. While waiting for the sunrise, you can look around the majestic ancient temple or get a good spot where you can take the most beautiful Borobudur sunrise picture.
The Borobudur sunrise that I experienced was breath-taking. I can’t describe it enough through words. So I hope that the pictures I have can convey how beautiful it was.
Booking a sunrise tour is a special entrance to the temple that is why it is a bit expensive. Regular opening hours to the public is 6:00 am to 6:15 pm, unfortunately, that is after the sunrise. You can discuss with your driver to where and when you can meet up to go back to the hotel or to your next destination.
Options on how to book for the sunrise tour:
- The easiest option to experience the sunrise in Borobudur is to book accommodation in Manohara Hotel. The hotel is within the compound, however, since this is the only hotel near to the temple, it will cost more than the regular hotels in the city.
- For budget travelers who would like to stay longer in Yogyakarta , there are plenty of cheap accommodation. Book a hotel in the city and request a tour through your hotel or you can book online for Borobudur tour whichever you prefer.
- The cheapest option is to rent a scooter, drive yourself as early as 4:00 am to Manohara Hotel and join a tour from there. Pay the entrance fee at the hotel.
Borobudur Sunrise Ticket Price for Foreign Tourist:
- Borobudur Sunrise: 400,000.00 IDR
- Borobudur Sunrise stay in guest at Manohara Hotel: 250,000.00 IDR
Tip: If you are not staying in as a house guest in the hotel, there are plenty of options or tours to watch the sunrise outside, but if you would like to experience it fully, book a sunrise tour which will give you the option to be inside the compound of Manohara.
Planning to visit Borobudur Temple from Bali? Here is a concise travel guide: Travel Guide: From Bali to Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Any questions? Feel free to leave a comment.